Friday, August 8, 2014

Pray in KJV

For those of you who are friends with me on Facebook, you understand just how random of a person I am or can be. I can post a "deep" theological thought one day, and a totally random fact the next. Or more recently, I was in a smack talking mood over the card game, hearts. My good friends have handled my trash talking with much grace, especially on account of the large scale beat down that they have taken... Countless large scale beat downs to be correct.

I posted something the other day, that I had been in thought about for a while. I even had a discussion with the care taker at a Private Children's home that I help manage about the subject. I do not remember my exact post, but I will elaborate on it a bit now.

As a christian, I know I have been guilty (many times) of stating a certain phrase. That phrase: We serve a good God.

Not until more recently did I realize the error in my statement. It is true God is good. Regardless of the 'if God is good then why is there so much bad in the world' question. In a completely personal opinion, my answer to that question is that God has given us free will. If there is no bad in the world, but only good, then we don't really have a choice between good and bad, thus there is no free will. That is the short answer. Many more details could and should be entered for my complete thought on the matter, but we need to get back to the matter at hand.

My error in stating 'We serve a good God.'

I was never an English major, as the 3 or 4 of you who actually take the time to read this blog knew very quickly, but this thought has everything to do with grammar in the English language. The word 'a' is my problem. Saying, 'We serve a good God." might leave a person to think that there is another good God out there some where. Kind of like asking the question, "Do you have a good #2 pencil?" (If you said hashtag 2 pencil, please reread the previous sentence). It's not to say that your #2 pencil is the only good #2 pencil, but simply asking do you have one of the many #2 pencils in the world. 

What could change this question? Replace the word 'a' with the word 'the'. Do you have 'the' #2 pencil? For some reason the word 'the' makes it seem like there are no other #2 pencils in the world. 

Do you want a Reese's Peanut Butter cup? (the answer is always YES!!!!) Or do you want the Reese's Peanut Butter cup? (again the answer is always YES!!!!). A makes me think one of many; whereas, the makes me think the only one. Have I made this point clear? And also the point that you should always say yes to Reese's?!

When we say we serve a good God, we should actually be saying, "We serve the good God!"

That statement leads one to believe that there are no other good gods except our God. It takes away the thought that God is one of the good gods, and sets God apart as the only good god!

I also believe you can substitute the word 'good' with: faithful, merciful, healing, and the list could go on and on. Use your imagination on this one!

Moral of the story: Pray only in KJV, God understands what you mean better in old English! (I'm joking, and hope you knew)


No comments:

Post a Comment